Contract no.: 687PED
Domain: 2.1 – Information and communication technologies
The project Scan4Art will offer solutions through a new multiple steps digitization/diagnosis/preservation process for current unsolved specific targets, such as cleaning fragile fortress surfaces, counteracting microbiological attacks, and overcoming shortcomings in the current conservation treatments of artifacts and historical objects, ensuring a proper storage environment for the treated objects/surfaces.
Principal scientific objectives:
(1) Capitalize on archeological sites and historical monuments that have not been systematically explored so far;
(2) Use 3D technologies as the principal non-destructive method in the activity of authentication and conservation;
(3) Confirmation of the innovative synergic method for conservation, applied to historical monuments, starting from the synergistic principle: testing, diagnosis, and treatment with nanomaterials;
(4) Obtain results and apply unique advanced methods in preserving the objectives of revolutionary cultural heritage at the international level, promoting TRL2 to TRL4.
The specific objectives are:
(1) The use of drones in Cultural Heritage. It is directed to researchers and experts working on the design of UAVs production and the use of drones for Cultural Heritage digitization finalizing innovative documentation services that integrate and complete the existing practice;
(2) Selection of some artifacts which will be analyzed for treating in good correlation with environmental impact assessment of the new materials and the process;
(3) The use of digital images to preserve cultural heritage mainly due to the increase in camera resolution on the one hand and the development of
data processing capacity on the other;
(4) Damage detection in cultural heritage by means of drones;
(5) Test treatment, and improvement of mechanical properties, protection against degradation;
(6) Evaluation of removal of degradation products, cleaning the degradation substances;
(7) Validation of treatment/cleaning/consolidation technology;
(8) Support activities participation in scientific meetings, disseminating the research results, publishing at least 2 articles in ISI indexed journals,
achieving and maintaining a project web page, and other common activities for disseminating project results (patent, trademark, conferences).
Stage 1 – 3D technology used to obtain the IT system for monuments of cultural and historical heritage.
Stage 2 – Scientific diagnosis and evaluation of the surface degradation mechanisms of archaeological sites. Study of the effect of nanomaterials on the strengthening and durability of mobile cultural heritage materials.
Stage 3 – Defining, implementing and demonstrating new treatments and procedures.
The aim of the project is to bring to attention some interconnected topics on different aspects of exploration, digitization, conservation, and preservation of some archaeological artifacts from the Sacidava fortress, as follows:
• digitized data made by drone scanning (3D scanning and photogrammetry) for mapping the archaeological area site (Sacidava fortress,
never investigated so far) • new diagnostic tools and methods for obtaining physico-chemical and structural information on materials that form the historical and artistic heritage, in order to make an informed decision on the materials to be used in the subsequent phases of conservation/restoration;
• analytical models for laboratory evaluation of structural, compositional, and morphological characteristics for decision making in the field of cultural heritage information: physical-mechanical erosion and abrasion by currents, water circulation; mechanical erosion/damage, biological (fungi and bacteria), chemical (oxidation reactions of organic material and corrosion of metals) and human (treasure hunting, souvenir collection, infrastructure or development works, pollution, ship movements, archeology);
• innovative materials and procedures for conservation and/or restoration interventions on the stone surface of the real monument.
The main theme of this project is the development and consolidation of the use of digital technologies for the protection, conservation, restoration and protection of cultural heritage and the arts in complementarity with other research methods. The results will be materialized by:
I.O. Zăuleț, R.-M. Ion*, C. E.Rizescu, Evaluation of marble alteration processes, The Scientific Bulletin of VALAHIA University MATERIALS and MECHANICS –Vol. 18, No. 19, DOI 10.2478/bsmm-2022-0015.
Project leader: Prof. PhD Chem. Rodica Mariana ION
Phone: 021 315 3299 / 135