Screening and designing biostimulants using electrochemical sensors and fluorescent bioassay: filling the gap between industry and science.
The empirical development in the biostimulants industry has created a gap between the positive results obtained in plant growth and the scientific knowledge about the mode of action of these biostimulants that favor plant growth.
The aim of the BioScreen project is to screen / evaluate biostimulants with a method based on electrochemical sensors modified selectively for reactive oxygen / nitrogen species (especially peroxynitrite), as these oxidative species modulate plant growth. Confirmation and validation of this method will lead to the creation of an analytical method for the rapid and efficient selection of biostimulants, a method in line with climate change mitigation and with bioeconomy.
Contracting authority: Executive Unit for Financing Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation (UEFISCDI)
Implementation period: 15/05/2022-15/04/2024
Budget: 250.000 lei
Project director: Dr. Chim. Ioana Silvia Hosu
This project proposes the use of peroxynitrite selective biosensors for the screening and the selection between different statistically designed biostimulant formulations, as well as the validation (mainly fluorescent) and the confirmation of the selected compositions with plant bioassays (studying the resistance to salts, accumulation of biomass/ secondary metabolites).
The lack of a strategy in the design of biostimulants must be considered by the scientific community. Biochemical priming is one of the proposed mechanisms in the mode of action of biostimulants and involves increasing tolerance to reactive oxygen / nitrogen species (such as peroxynitrite) under conditions of abiotic stress. Studying and screening different plant mixtures to scavenge these species will lead to faster and more efficient development of biostimulants.
Screening of the activity of some biostimulants with the ROS / RNS sensor.
Deployment period: 15/05/2022 – 31/12/2022
Confirmation of the activity of some biostimulants with the (bio) ROS / RNS sensor by comparison with the results of the biotests.
Deployment period: 01/01/2023 – 31/12/2023
Demonstration of biosensor functionality with ROS / RNS sensors in the selection of synergistic mixtures of plant biostimulants (validation of selected biostimulant mixtures).
Deployment period: 01/01/2024 – 15/04/2024
– formulation of mixtures with biostimulant potential for screening and selection study according to biostimulant effect
– (bio) ROS / RNS sensors developed for biostimulant screening
– initial evaluation / screening of biostimulating compositions by means of (bio) ROS / RNS sensors
– adaptation for plants / cells / tissues / plant extracts of a fluorophore-based method for the determination of biostimulating activity
– application of the modified fluorescent method to mixtures with biostimulant potential, in order to select a synergistic biostimulant mixture.
– comparing the results of electrochemical sensors with the results of the fluorescent method
– demonstration of the effects of biostimulants by biotests on plants (eg measurement of accumulated biomass / assessment of increased resistance to different stress stimuli / determination of the accumulation of other molecules such as secondary metabolites, after treatment with biostimulants).